Thursday, February 16, 2017

Drive around Ikaria

Anytime I rent a car, I fill out all the paperwork the night before, so that I have it from early morning all day. I rarely drive after dark and on Ikaria it would be suicidal, especially the first time. 
I was only allowed on the main, paved roads, which I thought limited me to no end, but after seeing what the main roads looked like, I agreed that it was wise advice. Furthermore, notice how low the front of the car is - insurance that the person who rents the car obeys the limitations of the contract. Here is the map of my six hour trip.


Sculpture outside of Agios Kirikos

Main road from Agios Kirikos to Evdilos. Very narrow, with steep drop-off on one side and steep mountain on the other side. With the wind blasting through the passes, I was afraid of being blown off this road.

Monastery on top of a rocky crag. Protection and view point against the pirates.

The north coast of Ikaria during northerly 20-30 knots in winter.

Evdilos harbour
Even the bank has rooms for rent.

Another view of Evdilos.

No wonder the people here live longer - talk about stair master.

Kampos beach in winter.

Analipsi Church near Gialiskari, Ikaria.

Surfing anyone?

One of the homes on the north coast of Ikaria.
Armenistis village.


Mountain village and road cling to the cliffs.

View south after crossing the mountain pass.

Katafigio village

Lefkada hot springs.