Sunday, March 19, 2017

Stormy weather on Ikaria

Watch out for the waves
 I pulled a ligament or pinched a nerve or something in my back, so have been staying close to my home on Ikaria for three weeks. Bother! 
And then, just as my back was feeling better, we had a storm several days in the row and then my month was up. So, it was either pay for another month or head back to get some work done on my boat in the Ionian in preparation for sailing this summer. I checked the weather and it was 5-10 degrees warmer in Preveza. Then I found a cheap airfare and that helped me make my decision. 
Also, the hot springs wouldn't be open until May or June, so I decided to come back again sometime perhaps with my boat in summer. The storm also didn't help. Ikaria is a wild, rugged island. I will always remember my visit here.
Smart move getting the cars away

Even the inner harbour was not that safe.

This is where the mid-sized ferry docks. Not today!

A river flowing down the stairs. Ikaria does not lack water.



Statue of Ikarus at the airport.
So, as far as living full time on Ikaria, and running a retreat here, I don't think I could. The island is too big to see without a 4-wd car and there are no safe harbours for my boat during the winter. But I'd love to come back during the summer.
Good bye Ikaria, hope to see you again.
View of Evdilos harbour and the mountains from the air.
If you want to see what I'm up to next - check my sailing blog.