Monday, January 16, 2017

Flying Toronto to Athens

During the summer, there is a direct flight from Toronto to Athens with Air Canada, but in winter, no such luck. However, I found a good price for a one way ticket from WestJet to London, Gatwick, leaving at 19:45 and arriving at 07:30 the next morning and connecting six hours later with EasyJet to Athens arriving at 19:30.
From Athens airport, half hour later (benefits of traveling light and with an EU passport), I caught the X95 express bus to Syntagma and then the modern metro to Iliopouli station where Toula's ex, Christos, picked me up with his van. 
The whole trip, door to door took 21 hours instead of 14 with a direct flight, but I was happy to buy a one way ticket since at this time, I have no idea when I will be going back to Toronto.
I was able to sleep on the flight across the Atlantic (using my designer neck pillow) and had several cat naps at Gatwick airport, but even so, by the time I arrived at Toula's home, I was quite tired. On top of that, it's a seven hour time difference, so I am also jetlagged. Time to hit the sack!