Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Monastiraki

View of Acropolis from Monastiraki Square
It rained off and on today, but I was happy to have arrived in Athens and went to the city center as soon as I could. I had never been to Monastiraki district and it took me awhile to find the outdoor market because it is not at the Monastiraki Square but Varvakeios Agora about five minutes north from the metro station along Athinas street.




The Central Market has many shops and stalls selling all sorts of food: grain, nuts, seeds, pasta, spices, herbs, fruit and vegetables, cheese, sausages, meat and fish. I'm sure you could find anything you wanted.



 
  
 Of course, even though I only came to look and take photos, I couldn't resist and bought some mandarin oranges (at 1 Euro for two kilo, who could resist), olives, feta, sausage and my favourite figs.





I didn't buy any fish or meat because I wasn't sure what my hosts were planning for a meal, but all the food looked delicious.



 The prices seemed very reasonable and I was happy to contribute some food to my friends. With several bags weighing me down, it was time to go home for a well deserved lunch.