Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Lycabettus Hill

Syntagma Metro station
I got lucky today - although it rained in the morning, by 11 a.m., the sun came out and I was able to hike up Mt. Lycabettus for a view of Athens. I took the metro to Syntagma Square and then walked through the Kolonaki district - very posh, with expensive shops and bars, near the University of Athens and many of the Embassies as well as the parliament buildings. 


Syntagma Square

Kolonaki District

It was about 12 degrees Celsius but more in the sun although for Greeks it's the middle of winter, so everyone was bundled up. I stopped at a cafe for a coffee and a croissant to get some fuel for my hike and then found Lycavitou Street, which headed uphill. I didn't count the stairs, but there were a lot!
 



Talk about a lot of stairs! 














 





It looked like I was half way up already and still in the city!






After the stairs ended, next there was a path.














The hill looked very steep. I had heard that there was a funicular tram to the top, but couldn't find the station, so kept going encouraged by a couple from Dublin who kept me company for awhile.




Finally - success!




That's the Acropolis in the distance behind me. It does look like I'm at the top of the world, doesn't it? I certainly felt like I was. Ouch!





Agii Isidori Church at the top of Mt. Lycabettus




I didn't want to leave the top - the weather was fantastic, so was the view - and even a lovely little church graced the top of the hill.



I was also tempted to have lunch at this nice restaurant. Notice how uncrowded the place is in winter.



I found the funicular - the entrance at the top is near the restaurant. Four Euros to go one way and seven Euros up and down. Since I already did the hard part by hiking uphill, it was an easy decision to walk down as well. 









I was rewarded by another lovely view of the Acropolis and was soon back in the city centre again. Just in time, because soon the clouds rolled in once more.