Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Good bye Salamina

One last look
























When I leave the house, it's dawn and light enough to see. I carefully scan the inside for any stray things I might have forgotten, put all my things as well as the garbage and an empty jar outside and lock the door. I then disconnect the key from my key chain and put it in the jar. I walk to the other side of the house and turn off the valves for the water. I'm now ready to go.
Up goes my pack and I note that it doesn't feel as heavy as when I had groceries in it. I suppose vegetables weigh more than a pair of shoes, some clothes and a laptop. I climb up the steps, turning back to see the house once more. I will miss this place. The sky is clear overhead with most of the clouds along the horizon. It's chilly (6 degrees) but I have most of my clothes on, so no problem.
I place the jar with the key between the iron bars of the gate of Niky's house. This doesn't wake up the dog – all is quiet. Strange – he woke up last night when I flushed the toilet. In fact, most of the way to the bus stop, I don't hear any dogs except once and then the others wake as well. 
Porto Fino area of Salamina Island
I am somewhat out of breath on the hills, so need to stop several times –I haven't been walking lately.
Bus stop on Salamina
When I arrive at the bus stop, there is no one there so I check my phone quickly – am I late? No, it's only a quarter after seven – fifteen minutes walk even with all the rest stops.
Soon other people arrive, mostly students. One older woman with a large bag.
The bus arrives. It's the school run. The driver teases the late comers by pulling forward slowly to get them to run faster. We exchange smiles.
When I show my ticket to the driver, he takes a hold of it and rips it in half, taking one part and leaving me with the other. It feels a bit like a handshake as our fingers touch for a moment.
We head to Kali Vigla harbour and the sun is just coming up from behind the clouds – a lovely sight. 
More adults board in Kaki Vigla and from then it's standing room only. Along the road, apple trees are in full bloom. Yellow meadow flowers carpet the fields.
The students sport magnificent hair cuts – especially the boys, all puffy on top.  One girl, looking self conscious with two rings in her nose, climbs aboard. The driver puts in ear buds and chats on his mobile while driving.
About 30 students leave the bus downtown Salamina and the rest of us continue to the port of Paloukia. We arrive at five minutes to 8 am. 

Leaving Paloukia on Salamina
I head for the passenger ferries, ask which one goes to Piraeus (not all of them do) and get on board. It leaves at 8 exactly. 
Approach to Piraeus harbour
We stop at Selinia, another Salamina harbour and then the ferry weaves its way through the outskirts of Piraeus where many big container and freight ships are docked.
Arrival in Piraeus

This ferry is full of mostly women heading I suppose to work in Athens or else to shop. There is a university student sitting next to me, studying while we travel.
I note that none of the passengers carries a take out coffee with them and no one is selling them on board. A handful of smokers sit outside.
A man walks around the cabin selling tickets –  price one way is E2.90. After getting my ticket, I take my things and head upstairs for a better view.
We arrive at Piraeus at ten minutes before nine.