Sunday, February 12, 2017

Salamina to Ikaria - the plan

On my way to Salamina Island
A few years ago, I took a ferry from Chania on Crete to Piraeus and when I arrived at 6 a.m., it was still dark and I had no idea where to go next to get to the bus that would take me to the airport. My lack of preparation caused a lot of unnecessary walking. With luggage.
So, this time, with the help of the Internet, I know exactly where I'll be going and when.

From Salamina to Piraeus:
Fifteen minute walk from the house to the bus stop. Bus leaves at 07:30, so I have to leave the house at 07:00. The bus takes me to the ferry terminal in Paloukia where the ferry for Piraeus leaves every half an hour. Yes, it's a busy island. The ferry docks at Gate E8, when it arrives, which is near Gate 9 for my trip to Ikaria.

Day in Piraeus:
I always like to leave plenty of time for my day of travel, so with any luck I will arrive in Piraeus about mid morning. The ferry for Ikaria leaves at 16:00, so I will have lots of time to check out the biggest port in Greece. But, one of the more important stops for me, includes the Kaloudis bookstore on Filonos 31 to get an English language book on Ikaria. From here I have two choices if I still have time. 
1. If it's a nice day and I'm done with the bookstore and ferry ticket buying before 12:30, walk to the AG. Spyridon #20 tram stop and take it to Skalakia stop which is at the Mikrolimano harbour. There is a nice taverna there, Paraga for lunch. Then take the #20 back at 14:20 in time for the ferry. The tram takes 20 minutes one way and passes another harbour on the way. Mikrolimano (small port) is an old fishing port and from the photos looks quite attractive and photogenic.
2. If I'm pressed for time or the weather is not nice, then on to Piraeus Dream Hotel (two stars) for lunch at their rooftop bar/restaurant/cafe. It's very close to Gate 9 and there I can even buy my ferry ticket. Or if for some reason the ferry sailing is cancelled (we're expecting a lot of wind next week), then I can also stay overnight. Thirty Euros per night is not that cheap but still on the low side. Just in case the Dream Hotel is full, there is also the Achilion Hotel on Notara 63, which has dorms and a single room is only 20 Euros. I think I'll check them both out.

 

And then of course, board the ferry, which will stop on Syros and Mikonos before arrival at Agia Kirikos on Ikaria at midnight o' 15! Quarter past midnight after eight hours of travel. I think the reason why some of the ferries sail in the middle of the night is that the sea is calmer then, with less wind than during the day. And of course it gives the travelers time to leave after work and have more time on the island. Me - I would love to see the scenery. Oh, well. I think some of the shorter routes are sailed during the day. Ferry price: 38 Euros.
I have reservations at Daidalos Studios and have just spoken with Denia, the owner who told me that her son, Kostas will meet the ferry and show me where the hotel is.  Meanwhile, Nikos, who has some studios in Therma where I will likely stay for a month, will be traveling on the same ferry as I am, so perhaps he can direct me as well.