Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Walk to the village

The sun struggles to clear a thick layer of clouds along the horizon like an old man getting out of bed from under a thick duvet. It looks like it will be a sunny day today. Finally.


After breakfast I take the road along the coast to the bakery in Kaki Viglia. along the way, I admire the view and chat with an old lady tending her garden. Another one needs help carrying her trash to the bin down the road. She points out the way to the bakery, tells me that Yannis' is better than Dimitris' and then heads off into a field to pick some horta, a Greek wild plant that's good to eat.   





Spring is here: I see flowers all around me and apple blossoms on the trees. What a treat - perhaps soon it will get warmer too. 

 
I get my supplies in the village and then head back by a goat path meandering around the hill. 
 
I pick up a walking stick and follow this path through brambles and bushes and around the occasional tree. Lots of rocks and a steep cliff to the sea. I survey the land as if I were a prospective buyer. Would I want to build my home here? Oh yes, I would. 



It's not a long walk, but at the end of it, when I get back to the road, there is a big black dog waiting for me and barking madly. I'm glad to have my walking stick with me and he stays away. From there it's only a short walk to the house and I'm glad to be home. The walk there and back took me four hours. Time for late lunch. 

Sailboat heading south off the coast of Salamina Island